Goat Milk Yogurt Recipe

Yogurt Recipe
By Kathleen

Ingredients:
2 quarts of raw milk
2 envelopes of Knox unflavored gelatine
1/2 C of yogurt from the store or from a previous batch



Directions


Before heating up your milk, make sure that everything is clean and have been washed properly. Fill up your non-electric food grade YOGOTHERM liner container with hot water. This will preheat your insulated yogurt maker.

In a stainless steel pot, heat the milk to about 150 degrees. Turn off the heat. Using a wire whisk, stir in the two unflavored gelatine packets into the milk. This is the secret to having firm yogurt. I then wait until the temperature reaches 121 degrees and stir in the 1/2 cup of yogurt culture from a previous batch or from the store. It is important not to add the yogurt culture until the temperature is in the 119-121 degree range. If it is hotter, it will kill the yogurt culture and if it is lower than 119 degrees, than it will not make the yogurt. I then pour the milk mixture into my YOGOTHERM yogurt maker.(More on this below.) Now place the whole yogurt maker into the refrigerator and wait over night.

Your yogurt will now be ready to be used in smoothies or to be enjoyed with some fresh fruit and nuts served on top.



Equipment Needed

I purchased my non-electric YOGOTHERM about 10 years ago from Hoeggers Goat Supply Company and it has held up fabulously. It is insulated to retain the necessary temperature for hours.1-800-221-4628 www.HoeggerGoatSupply.com. They sell it for $36.55.

I recommend using an instant thermometer that has about a 5 inch probe . It reads the temperature easily and can be used for many uses besides cooking. I have used it to check our pool temperature, air temperature, soil temperature, etc.


This process of making yogurt works every time for me and is the easiest method that I have found. I've experimented with many ways. So I hope it will work for you too.